World Diabetes Day 2020 is on Saturday, November 14, 2020. World Diabetes Day is a United Nations’ observance and not a public holiday. World Diabetes Day is celebrated on 14 November every year.
Theme of World Diabetes Day 2020
“Nurses Make the Difference for Diabetes”
is the theme of World Diabetes Day 2020
The campaign of World Diabetes Day (IDD) 2020 focuses upon the requisite role of nurses in supporting diabetes patients. This theme elaborates that education and proper training can accelerate the efficiency and potential of nurses and other paramedical staff in dealing with people living with diabetes.
In 1991, the International Diabetes Federation(IDF) and the World Health Organization(WHO) created World Diabetes Day. On December 20, 2006, United Nations(UN) adopted World Diabetes Day and marked it yearly on 14 November. The date of 14 November was suggested for international diabetes day to honor Sir Frederic Banting, who along with Charles Best and John James Rickard Macleod paved the path of discovering insulin in 1922.
World Diabetes Day Logo
By the United Nations(UN) Blue circle is the logo of World Diabetes Day that was adopted in 2007. The blue circle is the symbol for diabetes awareness campaign across the world.
Activities of World Diabetes Day 2020
International Diabetes Federation leads the Diabetes awareness campaign at International Diabetes Day. IDF member associations organize national and local level theme-based events at International Diabetes Day (IDD), these associations include American Diabetes Association, Diabetes UK, Canadian Diabetes Association, Diabetes Australia, Diabetes New Zealand, India Diabetes Association, South Africa Diabetes Association.
You can manage the event of International Diabetes Day by the following activities.
- Arrange seminars or conferences about diabetes awareness,
- Join the event on diabetes in your area and inform people that stress, obesity, and dehydration are common causes of diabetes mellitus.
- Educate the people with diabetes about their healthy diet, almonds, kidney beans, orange spinach and yogurt are useful foods for diabetes patients.
- Write an article about diabetes in print media like magazines and newspapers or use electronic media like radio, television for diabetes campaign.
- Use social media for diabetes awareness.
- Arrange or join walks or cycle race for diabetes and inform people that physical activities and avoiding tobacco can prevent or delay Type 2 diabetes.
- Every year the United Nations (UN) provokes a theme for International Diabetes Day, make current Theme-based activities along with your colleagues and friends.
- Some NGOs and associations collect funds for diabetes research and patients, donate for this fund or help them to raise funds.
Keep social distancing restrictions of Covid-19 pandemics and may join the seminars online.
Type 1 diabetes is caused by a lack of insulin production in the body and can be managed with insulin injections.
Type 2 diabetes is the body’s ineffective use of insulin. excess body weight and physical inactivity are basic causes of this type, it can be prevented and treated.
People with diabetes are at greater risk in Covid 19 pandemic, so proper medication, diet plans and care can help these patients in this pandemic.